So, here I am. My first post. After working most of the afternoon (nearly 4 hours), I think I finally have a layout that I am happy with. I must have tried dozens of different themes and layouts. Click – download – refresh – click – download – refresh… Next was finding a banner photo. Luckily, I had a digital photo from my sailing trip to Mackinac Island this past summer. A crop here and a crop there, and voila! Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
I will work diligently to keep the site updated as much as possible. As mentioned in the “About” me section, I intend on righting mostly about my dreams and goals that I have set for myself. One of my goals of course, was to get this site up and running, and it looks like that is accomplished. Now for the next part of that goal – keeping it updated!
For anyone interested in doing something similar here’s some things I’ve learned along the way. For starters, you need to come up with a name for your blog. As you can see, mine is “Yes, It is Possibe”. Fortunately, the domain name was also available. Secondly, I found a great web hosting company to work with – a2hosting.com. Including domain name and e-mail, it cost about $120 for the year or $10/month. What I liked about them was that I can setup more domains with this account and more importantly, they support WordPress for my blog editor.
If you are interested in setting up your own blog, I highly recommend WordPress. It’s pretty simple to use and there are a variety of plugins available for download. I not only use it personally, but also use it for work as well. Some of my plug-ins are (careful now, I’m going to get geeky):
- Akismet – To prevent unwanted spammers from posting to the site. Drawback is I’m choosing to approve posts. So, if you leave a comment it may take a bit before I can get around to approving it.
- Google Integration Toolkit – Allows me to monitor statistics on visitors to the site via Google Analytics.
- Tags 2 Meta Generator - Generates META tags automatically from my post tags. This will help with my SEO endeavors (Search Engine Optimization)
- Advanced Adsense – Essentially looks at the content of the blog posts and attempts to find relevant Google Ad links
- Quick Adsense – Helps during writing of posts to quickly add in Google Ads
I’m sure as time goes on I’ll be adding in more and more Plugins. This should give me a good start, though. One mission accomplished!